Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How to Tell If You're In Grad School...

...Or Just Living A Bachelor's Life (with exclamation point scoring!!!)

Do you eat leftover spaghetti for more than 3 meals in a row, including breakfast?
Bachelor's Life!
Do you sleep on dirty laundry because your furniture hasn't arrived yet?
Bachelor's Life!!
Do you consider bacon & eggs & beer a dinner?
Bachelor's Life!!!!!!!!
Do you shrug off wearing a wrinkled shirt?
Bachelor's Life!
Do you sit on a porch swing in the evening having a beer discussing the day's events?
Bachelor's Life!
Do the day's events center around a rather terrifying warning against professional plagiarism?
Ph.D. Student Life!!!!!!
Are you moving peanut butter, jelly, coffee, gum, soda, and a mini fridge into your office so that you don't have to go home?
Ph.D. Student Life!!
Do you get surprised to discover that the sun's gone down before you leave your office because your office has no windows and you've been reading 100 pages of journal articles all day?
Ph.D. Student Life!!!!
Do you watch movies two scenes at a time because you have other things to do at night, like read or sleep?
Ph.D. Student Life!!!

How'd you score?

Odds & Ends: As part of my "Goose's Blog Rules" I promised that i will not discuss academic events here, but I do have to comment two things about the "consequences of plagiarism" warning we received yesterday (Farrell, pers.comm.). 1) The temperature in the classroom was a cool 76 according to the thermostat. After the minute-long warning, the thermostat registered 78 (Goose, unpubl. data). 2) The source of warming was most likely due to the elevated blood pressures and anxiety of the 19 students in the class (Farrell, pers.comm.).

Supposedly I get my furniture tomorrow! That would make 13 days of sleeping on a floor/futon mattress. Here is, for the loyal readers who know about my affinity for "night terrors", is a laundry list of nightmares I've had since arriving: dreamt the ceiling fan was going to fall on me (requiring me to move against the wall to sleep), dreamt the ceiling fan was a pirate's "X marks the spot" and that I was buried treasure, dreamt that I got electrocuted by a loose wire that brushed against the floor (this may not have been a dream. i'm still not sure...), dreamt that a lizard was dancing on my chest (the old "my arm's asleep and twitched" dream), and the "i slept through class" followed by waking up and running to the bathroom to brush my teeth, only to realize that it was 3:38am. On a Sunday morning...

No comments: