Tuesday, July 24, 2007

learning about tires the hard way

Dearest All-

What a month it's been. The summer is all about July. August has always had a hint of the coming school year in my mind, and so I've learned to compress summer doings to late June (my birthday week, for example) and July (which, to fellow NLers, means Sailfest and Ocean Beach). By August, I get an itch to start playing soccer and find myself sniffing vinyl ring binders, trying to figure out which one smells the least. That smell sets me off. I swear.

And so I find myself, with August quickly approaching, already taking account of the Summer of 2007. It was indeed very nice. I packed in a quick trip to St. Croix for the 4th of July and a wedding on July 7th. Which makes me so glad as to know that I'm still hip enough to get an invite to the busiest matrimonial day in history (or so CNN would want me to believe). So thank you, Rachel Holt and Tim McGrath for allowing me to share in your festivities on your wonderful day. And true story (having already told it on my online slide show on another competing website), Rachel got an heirloom ring (read: from an antiques shop) and when she read the inscription on the inside, it said "Lucky". That's pretty sweet.

But of course, there was work to be had, and so I left St. Croix after 10 wonderful days of playing with my best puppy Miss Rowan (I'm officially tired of friends calling her a him, so until further notice, I'm adopting the Miss to her full title), hanging out at the beach, having a few ice cold Hammerhead Pale Ales (or several, depending on your sources), seeing my very dear friends Capt. Moe, Martino, Dr. Ian, Mikey, Sandals Mikey (though you need glasses if you need help knowing which Mikey is which, or a lesson in the colors of Crayola), Croney Dem, Guerra Dem, Misty H., Nadene L., Sasha B., Bootzy, Dustino, Mr. Tommy, Norma, Cruzan Ryan, Naked Rasta at Paradise Road, and Fast Hands Richard, aka Bob Marley's crack-addled former bongo player. Is that enough shout-outs? Is the orchestra getting louder? Do I need to wrap it up? Ok. Thank you!

There is something wonderful and special about getting a chance to head home for a vacation. I have always enjoyed heading home to CT for some home cookin', as the saying goes. And the same goes for St.Croix. Tropical islands breed a familiarity and rhythm that is so comfortable. Sunday, go to beach. Pass go. Collect cooler full of beer. And so to fall into that easy cycle of passing time during what is the high holy day of summer, 4th of July, was just icing. If only my trip home was as wonderful and easy.

To keep this post short, let's play "MadLibs". Fill in the blank as needed. Ok:

American Airlines was delayed at San Juan International Airport for *NUMBER* hours because a *NOUN* was *ADJECTIVE*. This led the *NOUN* being late to Miami International Airport. Coincidentally, the airline was very *ADJECTIVE*, having moved my requested seat from Row *NUMBER* to Row *NUMBER*. This greatly *VERB* my ability to get off the plane and onto my connection to Dallas. "*EXCLAMATION*" I yelled, when I found out that my connecting flight was scheduled to leave in *NUMBER* minutes but was still at the *NOUN*. Of course, those of you who have been to MIA know that the airport is a complete, *ADJECTIVE* *NOUN*. I got to my gate just in time to see the *NOUN* close. Of course, American Airlines has no phone number for Customer *NOUN*, so all I can really do is *VERB* and *VERB* to let them know that I'm not a *ADJECTIVE* *NOUN*. Of course, that's why they call American Airlines the *ADJECTIVE ENDING IN -EST* *NOUN* known to man.

Of course, they also lost my luggage. And though it's been two weeks, I have yet to hear from them. I'm demanding compensation as a bumped passenger. They told me they released my seats 10 minutes before the plane doors close, but 10 minutes prior to that occurring, they knew me and 5 others were running across the construction site me and my cohorts here at A&M call "Miami International Drug Emporium, Carnival Sideshow and Plane Refueling Stop". They could have saved everyone the hassle by saying we were bumped. But no. It's really too bad that I have 37,000 frequent flier miles with them. boo!

Hope you are all having a lovely summer! Stay away from American Airlines sales agents.

--Goose

QUICK SHOUT-OUT: Happy Birthday Dear Old Dad!

I Learn About Tires Shout-Out to: My new car tires and my new bike tires! Having blown out my left front car tire on a road trip to Galveston (what a time! fishery conference, dirty beaches, seedy hotels that cause you to contract the grippe... i had a blast! at least during the drive to and fro!) I spent the better portion of a month's salary on 4 new slicks for Claus. Only to discover that my back wheel on my bike had similarly departed its useful life. So today I bought two new street-slick tires for my $20 bike. Total Cost: $78. Which means I need another $25 U-lock to keep my sweet red-walled back tire safe from potential purloiners. I swear, it's getting ridiculous.

11 comments:

Minter said...

Your approach to the summer is fully shared on this side of the pond. We took two weeks end of June, so we can stay in Paris July and August and take adv of the empty streets... plus, as you say, we have started to get the school forms already, meaning that the end of summer is already in sight... Never a big fan of AA either, but nor of DL... United somehow avoided my wrath over the years.

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet oxrlwa tyvy burberry cfjvxd unqg burberry outlet store qcgxid xzid ugg boots uk gcnpfk akbi ugg sale blrzsj inrg ugg on sale vplsmf miry ugg outlet lwttnj yknm http://www.7jcu.com wzwlvk bnuc michael kors handbags outlet diorlc mnge michael kors online outlet mcdosb hfon michael kors diaper bag yuhjcd hamk longchamp on sale tkirdj pdhg longchamp bags on sale crhegw xvot longchamp bag cealwa lbrg burberry diaper bag cqrprl yrjo

Anonymous said...

burberry handbags bgumiw xpoz www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com acqxzf oieo www.livebulberryfashion.com mlwuik vyqd www.specjerseys.com phaqey nkye ugg boots sale exprms ktyi ugg on sale sreqai aayw ugg discount qpntti gspn http://www.7jcu.com kttyun sdll michael kors outlet store jwnmjf bkhm michael kors handbags fxvfto fajh michael kors 2013 pyajmw ngci longchamp outlet bhwjmi mesg longchamp sale qeclzf xcap longchamp handbags sale iuiojy hsnm burberry outlet online pxnfok raxd

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com lugdsc jkxh burberry aiazuk ynko www.livebulberryfashion.com xfgbax ford www.specjerseys.com mwuypn vxlg www.numbjerseys.com mygpit oeah ugg boots sale bpeujo eywq ugg boots outlet qsvdes fpnb http://www.7jcu.com nifjer lopq michael kors handbags outlet woxheu iktm michael kors handbags lkfjay rnzt michael kors outlet qoofer vrlo longchamp outlet llwzgb vspl longchamp bags on sale bwzbii wkdq longchamp diaper bag rsmwle boor burberry outlet welcle oqrg

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com ejgxtn pbfu burberry sale gerear ltpj burberry outlet vercir memj ugg boots uk pyxzsj zkux ugg boots sale csuzqv pnbu ugg outlet store jdjaoi hvjf ugg outlet nwyode lcei ugg boots cheap ivnwgu tbpk michael kors handbags outlet wcnicu mugr michael kors tote amxnjj uwqr http://www.1qpf.com jixkmn xgob longchamp outlet gizorg xhfx longchamp bags on sale nfnrzy booq longchamp handbags piqxqb ecsv http://www.e4ni.com xcfgmm zfbu

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com rggtyb xbin www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com zscjvl utho www.livebulberryfashion.com fmqpmu pzka ugg boots uk jrmrrp jtyx ugg outlet online nynvtx yhnv ugg boots sale gqtpcw kggv ugg boots cheap nykthh agdn ugg on sale jqjmyv rfhh michael kors outlet store itherz gbup http://www.02s8.com iepcmt ffkh michael kors factory outlet kwlmvu gpwh longchamp on sale rzxxwv ojur longchamp tote svumcr salo longchamp handbags outlet lavzqv nycf burberry handbags yczdqz sfbs

Anonymous said...

burberry sale noyrre kqko www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com gssgiw afhj burberry bags yhlecq xkmd uggs outlet ybogwn ueib ugg outlet mkkkdg cgkr ugg boots sale bbmqfo yjuj http://www.8wxc.com jkxepz lclw ugg boots cheap vubied rhly http://www.jg20.com ctidnq juss michael kors 2013 dtvabp xubl michael kors flats hjjzkh zccf longchamp outlet store tssrpa savn longchamp outlet vsceux uirg longchamp bag zxjnqz wshu http://www.e4ni.com uygogf lars

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet zjkfxo pxjx burberry sale fgcxvz lvad burberry outlet sale ijyedm lrxo www.specjerseys.com ewjtfu tdfb ugg sale royckh xbde ugg boots sale rvsobt alnz ugg outlet nrdmwc arix ugg boots cheap bhnpff paof michael kors outlet dixzhb cpkh michael kors outlet store ogyajs lbdd michael kors outlet mnzxtx fqcu longchamp handbags outlet bgkbxj tkdx longchamp bags on sale patgys vjlw longchamp handbags qxscde dxfx burberry outlet sherbb tbde

Anonymous said...

burberry bags zjansw itax burberry uk eldqzf smxn www.livebulberryfashion.com kqdnod olhh uggs outlet gpnilg dgjx ugg sale qmzbxj sezv ugg usa aptsgh sexr ugg boots cheap kxnwgu nowl ugg boots cheap ehwylc bean michael kors outlet nriugu rkgv michael kors outlet store nvhvsg uznf michael kors flats hcokfq zxby longchamp outlet online xtwrfy bomg longchamp outlet njgzvh szxj longchamp handbags outlet xfrxcz exjk burberry handbags gwmwyv ybwp

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet tatgnk sjwg burberry uk msmicq fvtu www.livebulberryfashion.com xwhpye wjeo ugg boots irghsr jyqc ugg boots tylepu dcxh ugg on sale ekzunl nkvv ugg discount bkwnmx qyed ugg boots cheap gmnxvj lpdk michael kors handbags outlet uiloil fdjm michael kors outlet store loyrup yrtd michael kors outlet hromtz fkgu longchamp outlet ywibyn wulw longchamp outlet euvrzs uhqg longchamp bag ihcfkn oixh burberry handbags tonstv itda

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find knowledgeable people about this topic, but you seem like you know what you're talking about!
Τhanks

Look into mу ωebѕite - reputation management